Thursday, May 12, 2016

Get MEAN!




It's 1995 and I just finished college with an Accounting Degree working as a Junior Accountant at a healthcare company, then this 'thing' called the Internet hit the public scene.  Forget balance sheets, I want to be a web developer!  I started basic web development and later enrolled in a Masters Program at Stevenson University where I learned Object Oriented programming and Java.

I spent the next 15 years programming in Java, everything from Data Access Objects to Swing UIs.  Needless to say I had lost the edge in web development.  Then along comes a project where our customer says, "Here is my problem, I need a dashboard to aggregate large amounts of data and visualize it.  I don't care what you use, just make it fast and functional".  Fast and functional, well cross off Swing UI, what's the latest in web development?

That's when I GOT MEAN!  The MEAN Stack, or MongoDB, Express Web Framework, Angular JS, and Node JS.  What?  How can this JavaScript thing take on a big OO language like Java?  Well it does, and it is AWESOME.  Take it from an old Java developer, I never want to write a line of pure Java again, MEAN Stack is extremely fast, easy to setup, and couple that with cloud services like OpenShift, I can prototype our solutions and iterate with our customers much faster.

I plan to detail in this blog my transformation from Accountant, to Java Developer, to MEAN Stack Evangelist!  Stay tuned for more information.

3 comments: